Respect in Sport - Parent Program
At least one parent of all BCRHC players registered with the OMHA is required to take a one hour, on-line course called the Respect in Sport (RIS) Parent Program.
- If you have a NEW player registered for the season and you have not already taken the course for another child, please go to the OMHA website, create an account, and take the course.
- If you have already taken the course for another child, but have a new player starting this year, please log in to your account and add the new player to the course - you do not need to take it again. Go to Child Management options.
- If you have transferred from another club and have not taken the Parent Respect In Sport course, you will need to take it.
Please note the registration system will prevent your son or daughter from being added to a team until this qualification is showing on their profile. If they are not pending on an official roster, they are not insured and cannot step on the ice.
- This program is being mandated by the OMHA.
- Cost of the course is $12.00 + hst paid through PayPal
- The course takes approximately one hour and does not need to be completed in one sitting.
- If the course is not completed, your player(s) will not receive OMHA approval to play on any team.
- This course is different from the Speakout (PRS)/RIS course for Team Officials. Therefore even if one parent has taken RIS or Speakout for coaches, one parent still has to take the Respect In Sport - Parent Program.
- Note: If you are a team official in the BCRHC, at least one parent in your family still needs to take the Respect in Sport - Parent Program course. The parent course is different from the coach's course and having the coach course does not exempt you from the parent course.
The Respect in Sport Program for Parents is geared to providing parents with information on how to evaluate and understand:
- Parental influence over a child
- Coach and leader roles in sport
- Role of the parent and coach in ensuring a child's enjoyment of a sport
- Protecting your child when outside of your immediate control
- Concussion awareness and 'Return to Play' guidelines
- Long-Term Player Development
Click here for more information about the program.
Click below to go to the login page:
- Once at the site, the default language is English. Click the link "Francais" to convert registration to French.
- Select "Register a New User". Note, all users must register a new user to begin the program.
- If you have previously certified in the Respect in Sport Parent program enter your existing certification number in the box provided and select Check. If your profile is found and is portable, certain registration fields common across all Respect Group Inc. programs will be filled in. Complete the registration and when submit is selected, the profile and certification number will be ported.
- If you have not completed the Respect in Sport Parent program previously, complete the displayed registration fields. All fields marked with a red X are mandatory and must be completed.
- For Username and Password, you may create any entries you wish. Respect Group Inc. recommends using your email address for the username as this is always unique to a single individual. Please note these fields are case sensitive, and on re-entry, must be entered exactly as during registration
- Once registration is complete, select Submit at the bottom of the page. With successful registration, you will be taken to the Child Management page. This is where you associate your profile with your child/children active in the OMHA. Enter your child's first name, last name and date of birth in the same manner as they are registered with your minor hockey association, and select "Add Child" When all children have been added, select Done.
- You will next be taken into the system. The first step in the system is to provide program payment. Simply follow the steps and payment will be conducted securely on the PayPal website. After Payment is completed, you will be returned to the program.
Select the appropriate language button to access the program instructions and content.
- Return to the website address above (same address as for registration),
- Enter your username and password in the selection boxes indicated,
- Select "Login".
- For Username/Password assistance, click on Forgot Username? or Forgot Password? on the login page.
- To reprint a certificate, re-enter the program and select the Profile button followed by My Certifications.